- Be The Media! (ongoing) – CHLY radio show exploring media and digital media issues. (Thursdays, 1:00 – 2:00pm)
- DataStream IV: Proliferating Signs & Cultural Layers (2012) - Since its first exhibition at VIU in 2004, the Datastream collective has reflected the stimulating–and sometimes disorienting—vectors of media and flows of data surrounding us. This exhibit features work by faculty and students from VIU’s faculty of Arts & Humanities. Works included film, audio, digital prints and photographs.
- MERIDIAN: A Multimedia Performance Event (2012) – A multimedia performance event featuring software-based musical instruments, psychedelic visuals, spoken word, improvised vocals using loop pedals & acoustic instruments. Performers: Robin Davies, Kevin Mazutinec, Justin McGrail, Marian van der Zon.
- Vancouver Island Short Film Festival (ongoing sponsorship)- The Vancouver Island Short Film Festival creates opportunities for local filmmakers, not only to screen their films, but to network with other film professionals and inspire growth in our film community. The MRL is both a general sponsor, and sponsor’s the Special Student Award.
- DataStream III: Machine Communities (2010) – Collaboration with the Literary Theory Research Group and the Datastream Media Collective. Transdisciplinary art show at Nanaimo Art Gallery featuring students and faculty from Media Studies, English and Art. Works included film, audio, digital prints and photographs.
- Humanities Colloquium: Machine Communities Presentation (2010) – Collaboration with the Literary Theory Research Group and the Datastream Media Collective. Transdisciplinary colloquium presentation featuring students and faculty from Media Studies, English and Art. Works included film, audio, and spoken word exploring Giorgio Agamben’s The Coming Community.
- Nanaimo Global Film Festival (2008 - 2010) – Sponsorship / Award / Tech support.
- Film Symposium with Christine Welsh and Tracey Kim Jack (2008) Partnership with First Nations Dept. First Nations filmmakers presented work and discussed issues surrounding First Nations media creation.
Film Unit Projects
- Humanities Colloquium 2010 – 2012 (in progress) – Video recordings of the 2010 – 2012 Humanities Colloquium series including: Steve Lane, Justin McGrail, Ravi Mohabeer, and others.
- VIU International Education Orientation Video (2011) – In partnership with VIU faculty of International Education, produced a video resource to help orient new International VIU students.
- Online Shellfish Course Videos (2011) – In partnership with the Centre for Shellfish Research, producing a series of video to be used in online educational offerings.
- Curbside Composting Instruction Video (2010) – In partnership with the Regional District of Nanaimo, produced an instructional video to assist in the launch of the RDN’s Green Bin Program.
- Tom Wayman: 2007 Gustafson Distinguished Poet – Video of 2007 Gustafson poet Tom Wayman including readings, public dialogues and interview. Co-sponsored with Deborah Torkko, English.
- A Long Way Gone: Ishmael Beah (2007) – Video of public presentation at Port Theatre and interview with, Ishmael Beah, author, activist and former child soldier. Co-sponsored with MUC Bookstore and Jeannie Martin, English.
- Cuba Now! (2007) Video of public presentation by Ramiro Zayas Frutos at MUC on the state of Cuba today.
- Dionne Brand: 2006 Gustafson Distinguished Poet – Video of 2006 Gustafson poet Dionne Brand including readings, public dialogues and interview. Co-sponsored with Deborah Torkko, English.
- Mongolian Rhapsody: Galsan Tschinag (2006) - Video of public dialogue and reading by Galsan Tschinag and Katharina Rout at VIU. Co-sponsored with Colleen McVeigh, Global Studies.